The Comeback of the Denim Mini Skirt
Happy Labor Day! The Summer seemingly swooshed by, but as we head into Indian Summer and into Fall, I still like to retain some feeling of Summer warmth in my wardrobe.
Typically, I like to do it through color — as I’m not yet fully ready to embrace the Autumn shades of rust, army green, deep brown and dark gray. So I keep my palette light and airy – adding some texture & weight to the fabrics I wear, but only a touch.
In today’s post, I put together the perfect late Summer/early Fall look, incorporating a newly reborn trendy item from the 80’s and 90’s – a Denim Mini Skirt.
I remember wearing jean skirts when I was in Junior High and High School — back then, they felt cool and “grown up”. But with getting older came this feeling that they were TOO young — something I hear from clients time and time again – that they want to look current yet age-appropriate.
Seeing so many cute ones this Season, I knew I had to try it out again – so I styled it in a more feminine and sophisticated way, choosing one with a little “urban grunge” via denim distress, to make it appear funky instead of juvenile.
The exact ingredients of this look are:
- The Denim Mini Skirt. This is one is by Joe’s Jeans from Saks Off 5th. I like that it has a relaxed quality and is not super short, plus the denim is very stretchy. I would recommend sizing down if you want it to sit at your true waist.
- A Pair of Classic Flats. I love these Chloe Lauren flats as they’re the most versatile and comfortable pair I own. I think a pair of neutral feminine flats is every woman’s wardrobe must-have!
- A Classic Bag. This LV clutch that came with my Never-Full Tote is a no-brainer as it goes with practically any and every outfit.
- A Tee with a Dramatic Back. This “Heart This Top” by Tularosa from Revolve is the perfect balance of demure/simple in the front and “party in the back”. Stretchy material, boat neck front, deep-cut v-back (needs a certain type of bra – or a lacy one that you’re ok showing) and short sleeve make this one sexy enough for a date night and simple enough to wear with jeans and jacket.
- A Silky Kimono. This Calliope Floral one from Anthropologie is dreamy – and very feminine.
- A Long Gold Necklace. Love this snake necklace by Serefina from Anthro. It’s going to be my go-to for sweater dresses and simple tops to add a bit of glitz and glam.
- A Wide-Brim Pink Straw Hat. This one is from Anthro, and is unfortunately sold out online, but I found a few similar ones, see below.
- A Silk Scarf. This is my third option of how to wear the pretty Kingston Jewellery Frida Scarf (you can check out options 1 & 2 if you’ve missed them). I added it as a trim to the hat — it nicely repeats the colors of the kimono, creating a “linking” effect for added elegance.
I hope this inspires you to revisit your youth and try a Denim Mini in your own wardrobe! Please feel free to share the outfits you create via Instagram, using hashtag #ModnitsaOutfit in your posts, and I’ll be sure repost them on my stories!
Photography by Leslie Moncada