Stylist Tip of the Week: Sharing My Skincare Routine Secrets
One of the first things people notice about you is your skin. Having a great skincare routine can make all the difference in the world, especially if you’re anything like me and have a busy lifestyle, where you have no time for extra lolly-gagging.
I wanted to share some of my go-to tips, tricks and products that make getting ready for my day and taking care of my skin before going to sleep easy, organized and stress-free.
- Clean your face diligently. What I mean by that is don’t skip a day, or compromise by just doing a quick rinse. If you wear makeup during the day, it’s even more important. I prefer to use an alcohol-free cleanser, and actually believe that going with a drugstore option is just as good as a high-end product in this case. I’ve been using Cetaphil for years, and highly recommend it – it’s inexpensive and does a great job of removing dirt and oil without stripping moisture from your skin.
- Don’t micro-manage your skin. Those magnifying mirrors can be your worst enemy in this case as they allow you to see each and every pore and imperfection. It’s not the most flattering look at yourself either – and makes you want to pop and squeeze every spot on your face. Over the years, I’ve taken the approach of looking at the “big picture”. Any dermatologist will tell you that popping your zit(s) is the worst thing you can do to your skin as it increases inflammation and brings in more dirt. Sometimes leaving it alone, or applying a little bit of an astringent or medicated cream is the best you can do to help it heal and go away.
- Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize. Now it’s been said again and again, but your skin needs moisture, and it’s very easy to disregard or forget to apply moisturizer after you take a shower and before you apply your makeup. I also recently discovered that oils and serums are actually the best way to moisturize – which I always thought would be a bit counter-intuitive from a sense of clogging your pores. They actually do quite the opposite, and create a barrier shield while allowing your skin to retain moisture. They can be paired with a light moisturizer or applied on their own – and they increase radiance. My two favorites are REN Rose O12 Moisture Defense Oil and Valentia Royal Rose Hydrating Serum.
- Drink enough water. On average, it’s recommended to drink 8 8-ounce glasses of water a day (although the exact volume is dependent on your body weight and activity level). We hear this recommendation all the time, but it is sometimes easier said than done if you have a busy, on-the-go lifestyle. I found this really cute app called The Plant Nanny – which allows you to have a virtual plant that you are prompted to water – while also being reminded to drink a glass yourself. I’ve quite enjoyed watering my virtual plants – the app is free, so I highly recommend checking it out if you’re having trouble remembering to give yourself enough water during the day.
To share a little more detail about the 2 products that I mentioned above, which have quickly become my favorite go-to’s, here are some facts:
- REN Rose O12 Moisture Defense Oil retails for $80 at Sephora. It smells amazing, has a rich texture which glides onto your skin and dries easily. It’s a cocktail of 12 oils, formulated to give dry and dehydrated skin a powerful shield to lock in moisture and restore baby soft, radiant skin. It’s gluten-free, parabens, sulfates and phthalates-free. It looks beautiful in your bathroom or vanity with its bright yellow hue.
- Valentia Royal Rose Hydrating Serum retails for $35 on Amazon. It’s made up of Rosa Damascena, the most nourishing and skin friendly oil in existence – providing balance, moisture, & a variety of vitamins and minerals to the skin, along with Niacinamide (Vitamin B), which has been been clinically proven to fade away hyper-pigmentation, sunspots, and acne. It also contains Rosehip Seed Oil, which is naturally rich in Vitamins C and A to lock in skins moisture and Evening Primrose Oil, providing a light, non-oily moisture to the skin, never clogging or irritating the skin. Additionally, it contains Bearberry – which reduces melanin production, thereby lightening the skin, and helping to reveal a brighter complexion. The serum has a pleasant smell and texture – it glides on easily and dries fast. The bottle is classy and clean looking – and will add polish to your vanity or makeup bag.
I found these 2 products to be lifesavers this winter, helping my face stay hydrated.
As a special “Thank You” to you for checking out this post, I wanted to share a 20% discount with you on the Valentia Royal Rose Hydrating Serum. Use code ATELIER2 when making your purchase.
What’s one product or skin care tip that you can’t live without? Would love to hear from you in the comments below!
*Special thanks to Valentia for offering me a sample of their product, so I could review it and share it with you guys.