My Haircare Confidential: Tips to Making a Polished & Fun Ponytail
Don’t know about you guys, but in the Summertime I really cannot be bothered with wearing my hair down. The humidity in NYC on a good day is pretty high, and the effort it takes to do a 30 minute blow-dry, a 20 minute flat iron and a 15 minute curling, and then have it all frizz up in a matter of 3 seconds is just not worth it. I’m always on the go with my clients in Personal Styling and Shopping Sessions, and prefer a hairstyle that’s sleek, put-together, and most importantly – low maintenance.
Typically, I opt for a bun or ponytail – leaving my hair naturally curly, but every once in a while I like to class it up a bit to create a polished no-fuss Summer ponytail look.
A few weeks ago, I got an amazing delivery from HerStyler with some fantastic hair goodies and tools, and I thought it was perfect time to put them to good use, and create a a little “hair confidential” guide on how to create a sleek & polished ponytail in 15 minutes flat.
Here are the steps – and the products I used along the way! Hope you find this helpful and inspiring:
- PREPARE YOUR HAIR – THE DAY BEFORE. I like to start out with my hair dry to save time, so I’ll wash it the night before. I used HerStyler Argan Oil Shampoo & Conditioner, which have an amazing smell and creamy texture and helped detangle & smooth my hair. I usually use a hair mask at least once a week, and loved this one from HerStyler with Argan Oil, it’s very rich and is supposed to help repair and prevent further breakage. After washing, I put my hair into a low ponytail, wrapping it around so that it would prevent extreme curls while I slept. I also like to put a microfiber towel over my pillowcase when I sleep with wet hair – as it doesn’t create static and helps my hair dry frizz-free.
- SMOOTH & SET: In the morning, when my hair was dry, I applied some HerStyler Argan Oil Hair Serum – for healthy shine and to add manageability and control, and put my hair up into a neat ponytail around the nape of my head.
- FLAT IRON: Once my hair was in place, I sectioned it into a few separate twists, and used the HerStyler Colorful Seasons 8 Purple Flat Iron to smooth and flatten the sections one at a time – until they were sleek and soft and very straight. That took about 10 minutes.
- CURL: Once the straightening was done, I used the 18/25mm barrel from my HerStyler 3P Curler Set – to create some gentle waves getting the ponytail Summer-ready!
- SPRAY: As a finishing touch to lock in the look, I misted my ponytail with HerStyler Styling Spray – which has extra hold to keep the curls set, but not overly stiff – which is the perfect combo!
Do you have any tips, tricks or stories about your favorite haircare products or routines? Please share in the comments below!
Thank you HerStyler & Shopping Links for sending me complementary products so I can test them out and share my experience via this post!