Markdown Mondays: Swimsuit Edit
Even though it’s August, I feel that it’s still too early to throw in the proverbial (beach) towel – and there is still more beach and pool time to be had. Even though most stores are selling Pre-Fall in full swing, with Fall pieces coming in on the daily, I think it’s also a good time to stock up on summer essentials for both the rest of this season and the next on as well. For this week’s #MarkdownMondays, I rounded up 5 amazing deals on bathing suits that are currently on sale, and are versatile and classy/classic enough to last you till next Summer.
This summer we’ve seen an overwhelm of one-piece suits, in various shapes, cutout styles, fabrics and silhouettes. My two favorites for this collage are both from Nordstrom: a gorgeous red “Ava Twist” underwire twist suit by Robin Piccone and an asymmetrical x Quentin Jones “Elmar” piece by Araks. Who What Wear named one-pieces THE celebrity-fave trend of the season (popular among the likes of Beyoncé and Bella Hadid). According to the experts at Cami and Jax, interviewed for the article, One-Piece suits are “Classic, sexy, modern, sophisticated—think less about concealing the negatives and more about highlighting your best features. The one-piece isn’t something to hide behind, but instead something to be empowered by. It projects poise, self-assurance, and leaves just enough to the imagination.”
Since we’re on the topic of trends, another swimwear trend this season worth mentioning (as it infiltrated from tops & dresses) has of course been the off-shoulder look. Rachel Zoe has a great digest of amazing off-shoulder bathing suit options, ranging from one-piece to bikinis.
For the bikini options in this collage, I choose 3 designs that cover the gamut from brightly patterned and skimpy to more retro with more coverage. This Love Drop Printed Calypso St.Barth Bikini comes with a halter top, and is joined by my other 2 favorites: the Flight V Front Bandeau Bikini by Mara Hoffman from Bloomingdales and the Two-Piece Printed String Bikini by Etro for Saks.
Below are some Styling Tips for choosing the ideal suit for your shape (inspired by the pros at Everything but Water from their PopSugar roundup):
- If you’re a Pear (curvy at the hips and smaller on top), look for plunging necklines and fun prints on top and avoid adding too much fabric on the bottom (like boy shorts or thick banded bottoms).
- If you are Larger-Busted, look for underwire or molded cups, adjustable, thicker straps, and try staying away from ruffles or embellishments – so as not to draw extra attention to your chest. Suits that are marked for your regular bra size are a good choice as well as they will give you good support.
- If you’re Smaller-Busted, the key is to create an illusion of bigger curves with less coverage, which you can do with ruffles, embroidery, larger prints in bolder colors, as well one-pieces with strategic cut-outs. Same principle applies to the bottoms of your suit – to look curvier on the bottom, look for ones that tie at the side and are smaller in the amount of fabric used. This will also help you balance your top and bottom to appear in proportion.
- If you’d like to Conceal Your Mid-Section, gathered fabric or shirring, asymmetrical designs (like a surplice wrap) or a higher-waisted bottom if you carry your weight lower in your abdomen will do the trick.
- If you’re Curvy, look for asymmetrical suits that highlight the line from your neck to your collarbone, drawing the eye up towards your neckline and face, or color-blocked or retro designs that can help highlight your shape.
I also came across this great roundup list on Racked of places to shop for bathing suits in NYC, check it out HERE. My favorite store is definitely Everything But Water, what’s yours? Would love to hear about it in the comments below – and please let me know if there are any others you know of that are not on this list!
To get more personalized styling tips and if you’d like to go bathing suit shopping together, please don’t hesitate to reach out to schedule your 1-on-1 Personal Shopping Session with me!